Modify your ShellStyle.dll file found under:
to Auto-Hide or disable completely this FolderBand (which I call the Organize bar).
This forum outlines the steps needed to perform this change.
- Download and install Restorator 2007
- Open “C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Aero\Shell\NormalColor\ShellStyle.dll” with Restorator.exe
- Expand UIFILE and click on “1”
- Change the mode to Edit mode [F6]
- CTRL+F to find “FolderBand”
- Locate the line that reads:1<style resid="FolderBandStyle">
- To disable or remove the bar, add this below the line above:1<Element padding="rect(0rp,0rp,0rp,-32rp)"/>
- To auto-hide the bar, add this instead*:123<if mousefocused="false" mousewithin="false"><Element padding="rect(0rp,0rp,0rp,-28rp)"/></if>
- Save the DLL file.
- You may have to take ownership of the NormalColor folder and/or ShellStyle.dll file to add Full Control permissions for your local account.
- Kill explorer and start it back up123<a href="http://christopherlaw.com/2009/11/sudo-for-windows-7-via-start/" target="_self">sudo</a> cmdtskill explorerexplorer
- FolderBand Organize bar should be gone or hidden.
If this is too much work, I’ve attached the DLLs to disable and auto-hide the FolderBand. So you don’t have to compile the modified DLL yourself! Just extract and rename the files, kill explorer and start it back up.
- 1<a href="http://christopherlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/shellstyle_autoHide1.zip">Download shellstyle_autoHide</a>
- 1<a href="http://christopherlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/shellstyle_disable.zip">Download shellstyle_disable</a>
*I’ve found strange things happen when you choose to auto-hide the bar. When you hover over that small area at the top of the window, and if your mouse isn’t hovering over one of the valid icons/menus of that bar, the bar will open and close itself over and over, causing the screen to jump. I just “disable” the bar.